Monday, December 17, 2012

Tones on Tuesday #58 12.18.12

I tend to try to keep my work life and my blogging/photography life separate and only mention the fact that I am a teacher occasionally. Today, however, I feel as though I want to take a moment to express what the events of Friday have meant to me. It is hard to put into words the way it feels as a teacher to realize that what happened in Newtown, CT could have happened in any school including mine. I saw this on Facebook and feel it summarizes exactly how I feel as a teacher every day and especially at this time:

"To those who aren't educators, this may be hard to understand: Five days a week, we teach your kids. That means we educate your kids. Play with your kids. Discipline your kids. Joke with your kids. Console your kids. Praise your kids. Question your kids. Beat our heads up against a wall about your kids. Gush over your kids. Laugh with your kids. Worry about your kids. Keep an eye on your kids. Learn about your kids. Invest in your kids. Protect your kids. Love your kids... We would all take a bullet for your kids. It's nowhere in our job description. It isn't covered in the employee handook. It isn't cited in our contracts. But we would all do it. So yes, please hug your kids tonight, really, really tight. But on Monday, if you see your kids teacher, hug them too." - Author Unknown

To all the families of Sandy Hook Elementary who lost a child or a loved one or who endured that horrible day...to all the teachers who did their job and did everything they could to keep their students safe...to all the first responders - "the good guys" - who saw what they saw and did what they did, my thoughts are with you all.

I debated whether or not to do Tones on Tuesday today as I wasn't sure we were up for it, but I feel as though connecting with you through your photography is my way of continuing to move forward. And that is the only thing I can do. With that said, here are the showcases from last week and please note that this link up will be open for 2 weeks as I will not be putting a new one up due to Christmas. Feel free to link up more than once. Happy Holidays!

Mona at Mona's Picturesque
This looks like a Christmas card! I makes me want to go there and just stand in the quiet. Thank you for sharing Mona.

I love the snow against the blue sky, there is something vibrant and yet still about it. A beautiful combination! Thank you for sharing Yolanda. 

Ritva at Ritva's Art
Beautiful catchlights, lovely softness in the black and white and a wonderful expression captured. Thank you for sharing your photo Ritva. 


Mona, Yolanda and Ritva please go HERE to grab your showcase button.

Now it's your turn to share your photo with altered tones. Here are the guidelines for Tones on Tuesday:
  • The basic idea is to share one photo where you have altered the tones. Such as a black and white, sepia toned, selective coloring or colored photo. Feel free to share the original and edit, or just the edit.
  • Please share a photo that you have taken and edited yourself.
  • One photo per photographer please. If you have more than one photo in your post please indicate which one is for Tones on Tuesday. If you link up more than once only the first photo will be considered for showcasing.
  • Please link up with your permalink and not your blog address.
  • Attach the Tones on Tuesday button or a link back here to your post.
  • Leave comments for at least 3 other participants, share the love :o)!
  • Have fun!
Disclaimer - By participating you give Scattered Horizons permission to share your photo on this blog. Photographers will be given credit for their work.

Settings: ISO 1600, 100mm, ss1/6, f/2.8 (on tripod)
"I hope that I serve by being a teacher." - Jenna Bush

Joining the link ups below. Be sure to check out the beautiful shots and join the Tones on Tuesday link up found further down!
 Sweet Shot Tuesday with Kent Weakley   and then, she {snapped} Weekly Top Shot 

13 comments:

  1. As a retired teacher, a parent, grandparent and human being - I agree with what you wrote and quoted. So sad...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet shot...and beautiful words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right... Thanks for the showcase :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a lovely post!! Such a senseless tragedy!! Have a nice week.
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  5. bela seleção de capturas, todas com cheiro de Natal. Um abraço!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too was a teacher, I worked primarily with teens for seven years, but occasionally subbed with the little kids at our religious school. I am also a mother and my heart breaks for every mother, father, sister, brother, aunt, uncle, grandparent and community member... the world community as we mourn together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful! I am a teacher and hugged my kids extra tight on Friday and this week as we move closer to vacation am trying to laugh more and let the little things go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad that you did decide to post this week..... Stopping our lives and the creative aspects of life takes away from all of the beautiful children that there are left. It is also a time that all of us can express gratitude for all of the blessings in our lives that we have, made even more precious by seeing once again, the fragility of life. Have a wonderful christmas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Voltei para desejar um Natal maravilhoso! Um abraço!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Snowscapes gorgeous, I love this wonderful Christmas picture. I wish you a Merry Christmas and a New Year full of joy with your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree, about teachers... I am a school bus driver and share only a small portion of others children's days... but they are 'my' kids during that time... Thank you for sharing on Weekly Top Shot #62!

    ReplyDelete
  12. the first shot is sooo much christmas in my book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. so very true, us teachers treat our students as our own children! God bless all those lost and those families affected,I cannot even fathom their sadness and pain.

    your photography is amazing!! i love it!!

    i will have to link up next time :)

    happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your thoughts! I love reading your comments and critiques.